Saturday, December 13, 2008

Quotes...

For clarification here are a few quotes from the 'wikipedia' on unschooling.
"While there is significant variation in what is meant by "unschooling", generally speaking, unschoolers believe that the use of standard curricula and conventional grading methods, as well as other features of traditional schooling, are counterproductive to the goal of maximizing the education of each child. Instead, unschoolers typically allow children to learn through their natural life experiences, including game play, household responsibilities, and social interaction."
"Unschoolers commonly believe that curiosity is innate and that children want to learn. Some argue that institutionalizing children in what they term a "one size fits all" or "factory model" school is an inefficient use of their time because it requires every child to learn specific subject matter in a particular manner, at a particular pace, and at a particular time regardless of that individual's present or future needs, interests, goals, or any pre-existing knowledge he or she might have about the topic."
..."the anxiety children feel at constantly being tested, their fear of failure, punishment, and disgrace, severely reduces their ability both to perceive and to remember, and drives them away from the material being studied into strategies for fooling teachers into thinking they know what they really don't know." Proponents of unschooling assert that individualized, child-led learning is more efficient and respectful of children's time, takes advantage of their interests, and allows deeper exploration of subjects than what is possible in conventional education."
Also, I do not think it is prideful to teach our children, but it is the case if they are being pushed beyond their ability. My point is, God created children with unique gifts, talents and abilities and I believe it my ministry to help them discover that so that they might "walk in the good works God prepared in advance for them to walk in." Of course, this does not mean I neglect the basics--reading, writing, math--for it will likely be essential for that which the Lord is calling them. However, I do not agree with the "school type" approach, expecting kids to learn something just because they are at the age where it is expected.
Children were created to learn and it is my desire to help them discover all the richness of the Lord through the world around them.
"The child-directed nature of unschooling does not mean that unschooling parents will not provide their children with guidance and advice, or that they will refrain from sharing things that they find fascinating or illuminating with them. These parents generally believe that as adults, they have more experience with the world and greater access to it. They believe in the importance of using this to aid their children in accessing, navigating, and making sense of the world. Common parental activities include sharing interesting books, articles, and activities with their children, helping them find knowledgeable people to explore an interest with (anyone from physics professors to automotive mechanics), and helping them set goals and figure out what they need to do to meet their goals. Unschooling’s interest-based nature does not mean that it is a "hands off" approach to education; parents tend to be quite involved, especially with younger children (older children, unless they are new to unschooling, will often need much less help finding resources and making and carrying out plans)."

3 comments:

love2bmom said...

Thanks Summer, you post has really spoken to me! I will be praying about this a lot today!

Love,
C

BETHANY said...

Thanks for clarifying. I totally understand what unschooling is, but I wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at. :)

Renee Leonis said...

Wow...as I took the reading journey through all your posts to catch up I must say that tears were not few. The last post I had read was about Un-schooling. I could not post at that time as the computer would not allow me. Now Being here again I want to add that "Unschooling" is such a beautiful way. Children do learn in different ways and it reaches all of them. Trinity is my oldest example of this kind of educating & I have seen her grow & fourish into the beautiful being that the Lord is growing. My boys are trying "Virtual Schooling" for a season & fitting the "Unschooling into their lesson is simply letting them expand on what they are learning in searching directions.
Teaching at home is fun for me because I am learning along with them so much that I wished I learned as a child. And weaving God through every lesson is rewarding as He fills our mind with His Word!!!
Knowing what I know now God's timing is perfect & my time to truly learn is right along with my children.
Summer you are such an inspration to me in how much you truly love the Lord & desire to be His vessal.
Thanks for blessing me with what the Lord places on your heart :)
Much Love, Hugs, & Loads of Prayers,
Renee