Saturday, December 13, 2008

"Unschooling."

I have struggled for quite some time with the idea of home schooling--especially the word "schooling". I have resorted to say, that Eryn and the other kids do "lessons" throughout the day, but even still, I am not settled in my heart. I often find myself forcing the children to learn, be it phonics, counting or colors. Why do I do this? PRIDE. I want my kids to reflect that I am "doing a good job." But, when it gets down to the heart of the matter, who am I trying to please and for what reason(s) am I teaching my kids?
Is it for man's glory or God's?

"But beyond this, my son, be warned:the writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body. The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments."
Ecc. 12:12
And we know from 1 John 5:3 that His commandments are not burdensome.
Oh, that I would rest in the Word of the Lord. Leading my kids daily to the cross. Holding their hands as they discover all the "good gifts" that the Lord has for them.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I can completely relate to this. I finally had to see that my son learned best when I let his intrest lead him and acted more as a coach supporting him in those areas. I just pulled my younger daughter from preschool and will try homeschooling my 3 preschoolers along with my 3rd grade son. Thank you so much for the offer of a gift, you can use paypal or you can mail it to me, if you email me I can give you my address. However more important then that is prayer and I would appeciate prayers!

BETHANY said...

Can you clarify something for me? Are you saying that traditional education (the reading, writing, and arithmetic ... so to speak), whether at home or some other location, is for the glory of man and/or done in pride? Or are you saying that your personal motives for educating your kids have been for those reasons? I'm totally fine with agreeing to disagree if we approach education from different vantage points, but I am simply trying to understand where you're coming from.