Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A load I was never asked to carry...

Now that I am taking time to rest--"be still and know that I am God"--I am beginning to hear/listen to the still small voice of my Lord. Why do I wait until I am too weary to lift my head before I sit at His feet? He is so loving, so kind and so gentle.


I do not know about you but I am a mama who likes to read bible based parenting books. And although this is not bad in and of itself , I am beginning to see that it does have a tendency to plant seeds of deception into my mind--for example, if you do this, discipline in this way and pray this prayer all of your children will grow up to follow Jesus. I suppose I must have forgotten the great truth that each of our children have a free will. I do believe that godly parenting does have a HUGE influence on our kids hearts, but it does not take away from their free will.


Our second daughter was a difficult child--and this is putting it kindly. I read child training books, consistantly discplined, studied scripture and prayed for her to behave/listen/obey. One morning, when I was at my whits end, I literally cried out to the Lord and said, "this child is yours, please make her a new creation in Christ. I am weary of trying." Honeslty, as soon as I was done praying and enormously heavy load was lifted and the Lord spoke to my heart that this is what He was asking me to do all along. Today this child is the most kind hearted, loving and obedient child. She is a delight. And she loves Jesus. All because I was willing to let Him do what He can only do--change the heart of a little girl.


Here I am again, at the same place. Carrying a heavy load that I was never intended to carry--trying to change the heart of yet another daughter. She is bound by her sin of lying and deception. I long to see her set free. But, today I layed her at the feet of the One who alone is able to change her heart. And the burdening load has been lifted. Please pray for this dear precious soul. That she would allow to the Lord to change her heart--or as we put it in our family, that she would give Jesus her old, ugly and dirty heart and let Jesus replace it will a clean and washed one.

"My yoke is easy and My burden is light-Jesus." As so, as I teach my children of the love and forgiveness of Jesus, I will leave the heart change up to the One who is able.


Jesus, "OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS."

5 comments:

Shonni said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your heart. I am encouraged by you in so many ways!

Bethany W. said...

I know just what you mean! My Nelson is acting out something terrible these days (and lying is part of it). I am constantly begging the Lord to save my child!

Another thing we do, which may sound odd to some, is pray that the Lord will send away any demons that are tormenting my children. There have been MANY times when my children's behavior was so bad is reeked of demonic activity. (I feel safe telling you this, since you are in a setting where you no doubt see satanic attacks in a very real form!) We pray over the children, for protection. I have seen immediate results from this!

I also appreciate your post from y-day, in regards to prayer for healing. It is so sad that, though this is completely Scriptural, so many people shy away from it. I say you can't go wrong doing what the Bible clearly says to do!

I will keep praying for your health!

Bethany

BETHANY said...

This is exactly why I don't read parenting books. I think I've rad two and they were for specific problems we were dealing with. I hate it when people check their brains at the door and follow of every word of a book

Two things to remember, Summer.

1. There are no guarantees in parenting.

2. You can not parent sin out of a child.

You do all you can to raise your children to love the Lord, but they've been given the gift of choice. What they choose is not your responsibility.

Sophie said...

I love reading your posts. Your honesty challenges me to take a different approach, you really inspire me.You have made many sacrifices for the love of Christ, God bless you for surrendering your life for His glory.
sincerely
Sophie Neri

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

What a great reminder to us. Thank you. We can't "fix" our children....we have to let our Healer do HIS JOB! :)