Monday, July 27, 2009

Who is getting the glory?

"Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do your charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly I say to you, they have their reward...And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corner of the streets, that they may be seen by men." Matthew 6

or my version

'Take heed that you do not adopt a child to be seen by men. Do not announce it for all the world to see. Therefore, when you adopt, do not show your children off on the street corner (shopping center, church, etc). Assuredly, I say to you, you got your reward.'

God is the One that weighs the motives of every mans heart, however, I cringe when I see Christian families adopting and then parading their kids around as if wanting the world to see the "good deed" that they have done.

Let us love in word and deed, yes, but let us do it in a way that brings glory to God and Him alone!

6 comments:

JLW said...

Oh man, I saw this once and I was in tears. It was heartbreaking. The "mother" even told me, "we probably will never love them like our own, but at least she has a better life here than should would have in her country." I wanted to adopt her from them.

Kelly said...

Amen. I pray no one adopts because they feel that is what the scripture says and that for proof of what good Christians they are. That they may feel superior to men.

I pray they adopt because they LOVE God, what is precious to His heart is precious to theirs as well, they love Gods most precious children, and they have felt the calling placed upon their heart by God. To God be the gory forever adn ever, Amen!

Shauna said...

Amen - kinda makes me sick for those poor babies. How confusing it must be.

Sarah said...

For His glory, and His alone. I struggle with this in our adoption process right now. We're serving on the mission field, we're blessed by prayers, but some comments break my heart.

Your life dear one, reflects His glory. Keep shining.

Mommy hugs,
Sarah Dawn

TheHappyNeills said...

How does one discern "parading around"? Is it by words, like JLW said? Can you expound?

TheHappyNeills said...

yes it does, thanks. we're new to the adoption realm that you, so i was just wondering the things you've seen. i wholeheartedly agree--we can't adopt *in order to be seen* by men. i do hope, though, along with many mature believers, that we *are* seen--ONLY TO HIS GLORY! i pray that any family--adoptive or not--is a beacon of Light, painting a picture of Christ to the world!