Sunday, May 10, 2009

Will we let them?

Does the Lord let us?

I just got done disciplining one of my children for lying. I told her that I will not let her be a liar--not to mention that we as a family serve a God of Truth and therefore we tell the truth. This made me think of how our Lord deals with our sin. He does not let us get away with it, "for whom the Lord loves he chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives" Hebrews 12:6". However, we, just like our children, have a choice. Will we heed the Lord's discipline or will we harden our hearts to His ways? I can not change the hearts of my children and they know that, it is Jesus who will wash them white as snow and give them a 'new man' in the likeness of Jesus. But, I will be an instrument of the Lord that teaches my children right from wrong--according to God's word. So, will we stand by and let our children sin? Or will we, like the Lord, love our children through discipline?

3 comments:

Shonni said...

Wonderful...thank you always for the encouragement to live for the LORD and bring our little ones to HIM!

Melissa said...

Good post. Last week one of my children stole a toy from his Sunday school class. He was trying to hide it from me, when I asked him what was in his pocket he lied. Later, his teacher, told me i should not have called it stealing, that it was to harsh. I told her I vehemently disagreed. It was stealing, that's what God calls it...that's what it is. I will not sugar coat sin in my children's lives, they must learn to follow God and His ways. I tell my children all the time, that I pray that the Lord will help me to catch them when they sin. Not that I am always on the look out for them to do bad, but because I want the opportunity to teach them of the Lord and His ways. Not to mention, if they don't get caught, they may have to live with the unnecessary guilt and may well learn a much different lesson than "Obey the Lord, but if you don't He has forgiveness in abundance."

Sarah said...

Delighted to meet you! We too are a missionary family, and have served in East AFrica as well. We are currently starting our adoption process to bring home two little ones from Ethiopia. I have fallen in love with your blog, I'll be back.

Hugs from this missionary mommy's heart to yours,
Sarah Dawn