Thursday, March 19, 2009

idols?

I am reading an amazingly challenging book by R.A. Torrey called
'The Power of Prayer and the Prayer of Power.'
Today, the chapter I was reading, was about idols in our life that hinder our prayers--be it our husbands, ministry, the home or our children. Anything that we put before our Lord. I loved this quote.
"The dearest idol I have known, Whatever that idol be, help me to tear it from its throne, AND WORSHIP ONLY THEE."
I know for me, I can put my children and their obedience before the Lord.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

So easy to do, thinking we are right in doing so. Thank you for this reminder, it is an every day examination.

Adeye said...

What a great reminder on something soooo important to search our hearts on. I so often forget to search my heart on things that I may put before God. Something to ponder today. Love the quote!

simmie flock said...

wow, that's really honest Summer. Thanks for that. And thanks for sharing that it's not just your children, but their obedience that you can make an idol. I've never thought of it like that, broken down that way. I admit i have made my children idols before also, but i never bothered to go deeper to see what exactly about them i was making into an idol. so, your little post here has given me much to pray about. thank you again for sharing! I love that the Lord can take anything we offer up and turn it into something powerful. it doesn't have to be long and wordy and over complicated.

love.